As you know already, I’m a lover of all things Italian – especially a good Caprese Salad! For those of you who don’t know, a Caprese Salad is a traditional Italian recipe comprising of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil leaves, The recipe is healthy, tasty and a wonderful starter to eat before your main meal (or with it!) I’ve actually put a little twist on the traditional recipe by adding strawberries and raspberries. So, get ready to try my recipe for Strawberry and Raspberry Caprese Salad with Pistachio Pesto.
- 340 grams cherry tomatoes
- 170 grams strawberries
- 170 grams raspberries
- 225 grams fresh mozzarella balls
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup pistachios
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Step by Step Method –
- Wash the tomatoes, strawberries and raspberries.
- Cut the strawberries in half and shell all the pistachios.
- Combine the mozzarella, strawberries, raspberries and tomatoes into a large bowl. Add in the salt and pepper then toss.
- Add in the basil leaves.
- To make the pistachio pesto, place the pistachios, basil, mint, garlic and cheese into a food processor.
- Blend all the ingredients until the pistachios have all been crushed.
- Add in the extra virgin olive oil to the mixture and pulse the food processor. TIP – if the pesto looks too dry, try adding more olive oil or water into the mix. Give it a taste and add a pinch of salt if necessary.
- Place the pesto into the salad bowl and lightly toss to combine.
- Serve the salad with a spatula (so that you don’t break up the berries).
That’s it! Enjoy the freshness of this salad with a twist 🙂
If you have given this recipe a try, I’d love to hear about it – so please comment below!